About Our Program:
Our program is designed to prepare students for employment as phlebotomists & healthcare support workers. The content in this program includes, but is not limited to:
- Professional, communication and interpersonal skills
- Phlebotomy in relation to the healthcare setting
- Identify the anatomic structure and function of body systems in relation to services performed by the phlebotomist
- Recognize and identify collection reagents supplies, equipment and interfering chemical substances
- Infection control following standard precautions
- Transporting, accessioning and processing specimens
- Practice quality assurance and safety
Instruction and learning activities are provided in a laboratory setting using hands-on experiences with implements and equipment appropriate to the program’s content and in accordance with safety practices in the trade.
- 16 years of age or older and not currently enrolled in any K-12 program
- Occupational Interest
- Background Check and Drug Testing mandated for externship
This program is a planned sequence of instruction consisting of 2 occupational completion points. The length of the program is 165 hours as listed below. Upon completion of the program, the instructor will provide a certificate to the student verifying that the requirements have been met.
|OCP A||Basic Healthcare Worker||90 Hours|
|OCP B||Phlebotomist||75 Hours|
|Total Hours: 165|
Full Program Completion:
- Completion of all program competencies
- There is no TABE Test requirement for this course.
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician with NHA
- Background Check and Drug Testing may be required for externship
The average wage for this career in Florida is $16.78 hourly and $34,710 annually.
Employment of phlebotomists is projected to grow 17% from 2019 to 2029.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. To apply, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.gov. Visit the financial aid office for more information.
|South Dade Technical College|
28300 S.W. 152nd Avenue
Leisure City, FL 33033
|Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.|
Gainful Employment Disclosure:
|This program is designed to be completed in:||7 weeks|
|Program cost if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting but may have changed.||In-state: $787.40
165 hours x $2.56= $422.40
165 hours x $10.25= $1,691.25
|Fees $50.00 x 1 term= $50
Books and supplies= $300
|Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate leaves with $ 0 of debt.|
|The following States do not have licensure requirements for this profession: Florida|
|For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please click here: https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/|
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Phlebotomists, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/phlebotomists.htm.