Additional Financial Aid
Student Financial Aid
The financial aid programs provided by Miami-Dade County Public Schools (M-DCPS) post-secondary educational centers make it feasible for students who would normally be deprived of a career/technical education due to lack of funds to obtain the training they desire. This is based on the principle that a post-secondary education should not be a privilege reserved only for those who can afford to purchase it. Educational opportunities should also be made available to students of families with limited financial resources.
M-DCPS post-secondary educational centers subscribe to the following:
- The primary purpose of the financial aid program is to provide assistance to students who, without such aid, would be unable to attend school.
- Financial assistance could consist of Federal Financial Aid Pell Grant, Florida Public Post-secondary Career Education Student Assistance Grant Program (FSAG), District Financial Aid Program (DFAP), Fee Waiver Program.
- Financial assistance is meant to supplement the efforts of the student and/or the student’s family. Both the student’s family and the student are expected to make a maximum effort to assist with post-secondary educational expenses. This is referred to as Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
- The total amount of financial assistance offered to students shall be limited to the amount of the educational costs that are greater than all other resources available to them.
- In determining the amount of other available resources, the financial aid program shall take into account the financial support expected from income, assets, and other resources available to students and/or parents. All factors affecting family’s financial strength shall be considered, including other dependents, debts, etc.
Required documentation when applying for Financial Aid
- Proof of income: copy of your previous year’s income tax form, your spouse’s income tax form, if married or are unmarried and living together (e.g. 2015 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, W2, 1099, unemployment stubs, current food stamp authorization letter, notarized letter of support, etc.)
- High school diploma or high school diploma equivalency (foreign country).
- Proof of immigration status: unexpired employment authorization card, resident card, or proof of U.S. Citizenship (U.S. Passport, U.S. Birth Certificate or U.S. Certificate of Naturalization)
- Social Security Card
- Proof of Address: Florida Driver’s License or Florida Identification Card
If you are applying for financial aid, please obtain and complete 2017-2018 FAFSA application available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
South Dade Technical College’s school code: 042092
If you have any questions regarding the financial aid process, please contact the financial aid office from Monday to Friday from 8:00 AM to 3:20 PM at (305) 247-7839 Ext. 2112.