South Dade Senior High School (Dual Enrollment CTE Programs)
This dual enrollment program is available for students at Miami Southridge Senior High. The program allows students an opportunity to enroll in a career technical education program while attending high school, at no cost, which gives students the advantage of entering the workforce soon after graduating. Students may also continue their postsecondary training at any of our technical colleges and save on tuition while completing their certification or licensure.
Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning/Refrigeration (HVAC/R) 1
This program is designed to prepare students for employment or advanced training in the heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration and ventilation industry. The content of this program includes but is not limited to the following:
- Recognize and identify basic construction drawings, terms, components and symbols.
- Differentiate between air conditioning and refrigeration systems and appliances.
- Operation of a refrigerant recovery system and evaluation of system performance.
- Maintain, test and adjust various commercial and residential heating and air conditioning appliances.
- Installation and repair of various air supply and ventilation systems.
- Basic electricity and welding for HVAC applications.
This course prepares students for entry level employment in the heating, air conditioning, refrigeration and ventilation industry. Students are exposed to over 750 hours of instruction in safety procedures, tool and material application and processes as related to this occupation.
The program is designed to prepare students for employment as Pharmacy Technicians, Community Pharmacy Technicians or Pharmacy Aides. The content of this program consists of, but is not limited to:
- Medical terminology, sterile techniques, medicinal drugs and pharmaceutical compounding.
- Intravenous preparation, Prescription labeling, drug ordering and prepackaging.
- Patient record systems, computer applications and data processing.
- Human relations, health and safety including Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation.
- Preparation for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Examination.
The program offers a sequence of courses that provides coherent and rigorous content aligned with challenging academic standards and relevant technical knowledge and skills needed to prepare for further education and careers in healthcare.