About Our Program:
This program is designed to teach students the latest trends and techniques in the barbering industry. Instruction is designed to provide the knowledge and skills necessary for employment while obtaining a Barbering License from the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation. This content includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Communication, entrepreneurship, and employability skills
- Human relations and customer service
- Safe and efficient work practices
- Florida barber law and rules
- Related chemistry, bacteriology, anatomy and physiology of barbering
- Services which include hair cutting with clippers, shears, styling, shaving, mustache and beard design, hair coloring, chemical waving and relaxing
Instruction and learning activities are provided in a laboratory setting using hands-on experiences with chemicals, implements, and equipment appropriate to the program’s content and in accordance with safety and sanitation practices in the trade.
- 16 years of age or older and not currently enrolled in any K-12 program
- Occupational Interest
This program consists of 1200 hours and is a planned sequence of instruction consisting of two (2) Occupational Completion Points (OCPs):
|OCP A||Barber 1A|
|Total Hours: 900|
Full Program Completion:
- Completion of all program competencies
- Minimum basic-skills TABE® test: Math 9, Reading 9, Language 9; or
- Florida State Board Restricted Barber or Barber License Examination
- Retail Specialist
- Barber Shop or Spa Owner
According to the 2018 Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay for Licensed Barbers was $13.28 per hour.
Employment of barbers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists is projected to grow 19% from 2020 to 2030.
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. To apply, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.gov. Visit the financial aid office for more information.
|South Dade Technical College|
28300 S.W. 152nd Avenue
Leisure City, FL 33033
|Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.|
Gainful Employment Disclosure:
|This program is designed to be completed in:||48 weeks|
|Program cost if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of posting but may have changed.||In-state: $3,512.00
1200 hours x $2.56= $3,072.00
1200 hours x $10.25= $12,300.00
|Fees $35.00 x 4 terms= $140.00
Books and supplies= $300.00
|Of the students who completed this program within normal time, the typical graduate leaves with $ 0 of debt.|
|The following States do not have licensure requirements for this profession: Florida|
|For more information about graduation rates, loan repayment rates, and post-enrollment earnings about this institution and other postsecondary institutions please click here: https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/|
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Barbers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/barbers-hairstylists-and-cosmetologists.htm.